[CMake] Getting the svn revision number of our source.

Rick McGuire object.rexx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:04:45 EDT 2014

We like to include the SVN revision number in our build artifacts to help
keep track of what version people are working with.  I found the following
code on the mailing lists which appears to work fine:

# Get the SVN revision number of an svn command line client is
# available.  This version will run at build time rather than only
# at configuration generation time.
FIND_PROGRAM(SVN_EXECUTABLE svn
  DOC "subversion command line client")

# only do this if we have an svn client.
if (SVN_EXECUTABLE)
    MACRO(Subversion_GET_REVISION dir variable)
      EXECUTE_PROCESS(COMMAND ${SVN_EXECUTABLE} info ${dir}
        OUTPUT_VARIABLE ${variable}
        OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE)
      STRING(REGEX REPLACE "^(.*\n)?Revision: ([^\n]+).*"
        "\\2" ${variable} "${${variable}}")
    ENDMACRO(Subversion_GET_REVISION)

    Subversion_GET_REVISION(${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR} ORX_BLD_LVL)
endif ()

message(STATUS "SVN Revision Number is ${ORX_BLD_LVL}")

Unfortunately, the first person not in the core team who building was
running a Spanish language version of SVN, so the ORX_BLD_LEVEL
variable ended up with the entire output of the svn info command
because it could not find the string REVISION.  This was not a good
thing!

Is there a better way to obtain the SVN revision number that does not
suffer from this sort of problem?

Rick