[CMake] patch on Windows

Rob McDonald rob.a.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 19:39:21 EST 2014

Where does CMake get its patch implementation?

I'm using a patch step with ExternalProject_Add on Windows (and other
platforms).

I had it working on one Windows machine - which unfortunately just got
knocked off a desk and will never be recovered.  The same files on a
different Windows machine doesn't work.

'patch' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Looks like CMake can't find 'patch', but I thought it was built-in.  I was
using 2.8.8, but when I ran into this, I upgraded to 2.8.12.1 -- no change.

Since I can no longer boot the other computer, I'm having a hard time
figuring out what the difference is...

Working configuration -- Windows XP, Visual Studio 2010, Mingw probably
installed someplace, CMake 2.8.6 (maybe).

Broken configuration -- Windows 7, Visual Studio 2008, no Mingw, Cygwin, or
other unix-ish stuff installed.  CMake 2.8.8 then 2.8.12.1

Even if I sort out the difference, I'd like to be able to count on this for
my developers without making them install additional dependencies.  Is
there a FindPATCH.cmake I need to use?  For Windows patching, am I better
off just carrying new copies of the changed files and copying them over in
the patch step?

Thanks in advance,

Rob