[CMake] Simultaneous makes?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Dec 24 19:54:49 EST 2014

On 2014-12-24 11:07-0600 Chris Johnson wrote:

> Perhaps I need to clarify.
>
> It's a very large project with many directories and interdependent
> libraries.  So he is starting a make in one library, and then working on a
> program in another subtree of the same project, and running a make there.
>
> Since the entire project shares just one large build tree out-of-source,
> both compiles share the same CMakeCache.txt and CMakeFiles/*.
>
> This is not a case of "parallel" makes (-j N) started from one directory.

Hi Chris:

I haven't used it myself that way, but my understanding is CMake deals
well with the issue of building extremely large sets of interdependent
software libraries. I therefore suggest you take a look at some large
software projects (e.g., KDE and/or VTK, but perhaps others here have
additional examples) to see how those software projects organize their
builds with CMake.  That may give you some ideas on how to avoid the
build issue you have discovered for the current way you organize the
build of your interdependent set of libraries.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin