[CMake] Copying shared libraries in a post-build step

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:58:13 EST 2014

On 12/9/14, J Decker <d3ck0r at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is all handled by install.

I already addressed INSTALL. I know you can change the directory. That
is irrelevant to the point which I already addressed.

> Sounds really like you're working to build a package, which install is
> intended to do.

Another problem which I didn't make explicit was that Xcode's
codesigning and entitlements phase will not work with INSTALL because
it signs when you build via Xcode. And there are cases where you must
develop and test with codesigning and entitlements enabled, like
testing App Store purchases, Game Center, or want to use the new
built-into-Safari JavaScriptCore debugger if you have a JSContext in
your app.

Also, iOS/Android/WinRT, the INSTALL target is useless.

The INSTALL thing is a hack in my opinion that we as a community have
accepted as a solution. I'm now calling it out as a design problem in
CMake, especially as the winds have shifted to more platforms focusing
on shipping binaries than the former and now treat packaging as a
first class citizen. It is an impediment to the natural workflow on
those platforms, it is an impediment to people adopting CMake, and it
is an impediment to people wanting to deal with native languages
because build systems are too complicated. (The scripts I wrote are
intended to deal with all those things in a new middleware product I'm
developing and hopefully bring native crossplatform development to
people that otherwise wouldn't touch it before.)

Thanks,
Eric
--
Beginning iPhone Games Development