[CMake] No Such File or Directory

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Aug 16 19:51:18 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-16 15:02-0500 David Zemon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After downloading the 3.0.1 binary Linux distribution of CMake, I am running
> into the following bash error:
>
>   *david at fresh-ubuntu:~/**PropWare/util$* cmake
                                            ^
==> that is a prompt followed by a blank so it looks like
there is no actual path in front of your cmake invocation.

>   bash: /home/david/cmake-3.0.1-Linux-i386/bin/cmake: No such file or
>   directory

I am pretty sure this issue is due to a very
long-standing Linux security feature where you have to specify
executables using a path in front of the name, i.e.,
from that directory invoke cmake with

./cmake

or from anywhere invoke it with the full pathname, e.g.,

/home/david/cmake-3.0.1-Linux-i386/bin/cmake

Hope this guess is right.

Alan

Alan W. Irwin