[CMake] Help cmake First project

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Wed Aug 13 14:06:17 EDT 2014

Are these actually C++ files?  If so then they should really have a C++
extension (like .cp or .cxx).  It may be a good idea in general since other
build tools may run in to the same sort of issue of assuming they are C
files.  A few other tips: first, by placing all your source files in a list
variable you can simplify things by operating on the entire list at once
for most commands.  For instance:

set(2PG_SOURCES
  src/LoadConfig.cpp
  src/random_algorithm.c
)
set_source_files_property(${2PG_SOURCES} PROPERTIES LANGUAGE CXX)
add_library(2PG STATIC ${2PG_SOURCES})

Also, since you're targeting windows as well, This isn't an issue yet but
something to consider:  If you decide to switch to a shared library instead
of static, then you will need to install that as well and shared libs on
windows end up with both a resulting .lib and .dll file.  When installing,
you can instruct CMake to place them in different locations with:

install(TARGETS 2PG_lib protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2 ...
protpred-Gromacs-Sort_Method_Files_by_Front_Dominance
  RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
  LIBRARY DESTINATION lib
  ARCHIVE DESTINATION lib/static
)

This will make sure that all executables and dll's go into the runtime
location, all shared link libraries (.lib) go into the library location,
and all static libraries (also.lib) go into the archive location.

- Chuck

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Rodrigo Faccioli <
rodrigo.faccioli at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> src/ea_nsga2.c
> src/dominance.c
> src/owner_file_analysis.c
> src/mc_metropolis.c
> src/random_algorithm.c
> ) #end of 2PG_lib
>
> # add target
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2 src/protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-Dominance src/protpred-Gromacs-Dominance.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-Dominance 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-Front src/protpred-Gromacs-Front.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-Front 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-MC_Metropolis
> src/protpred-Gromacs-MC_Metropolis.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-MC_Metropolis 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-Mono src/protpred-Gromacs-Mono.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-Mono 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-Random_Algorithm
> src/protpred-Gromacs-Random_Algorithm.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-Random_Algorithm 2PG_lib)
>
> add_executable(protpred-Gromacs-Sort_Method_Files_by_Front_Dominance
> src/protpred-Gromacs-Sort_Method_Files_by_Front_Dominance.c)
> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-Sort_Method_Files_by_Front_Dominance
> 2PG_lib)
>

> # install
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2 DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-Dominance DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-Front DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-MC_Metropolis DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-Mono DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-Random_Algorithm DESTINATION bin)
> install(TARGETS protpred-Gromacs-Sort_Method_Files_by_Front_Dominance
> DESTINATION bin)
>

> Best regards,
>

> --
> Rodrigo Antonio Faccioli, Ph.D
> Development Software for Structural Bioinformatics
> Barao de Maua University
> University of Sao Paulo
> Lindedin - br.linkedin.com/pub/rodrigo-antonio-faccioli/7/589/a5/
> Curriculum Lattes - http://lattes.cnpq.br/1025157978990218
>

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:32 AM, Angeliki Chrysochou <
> angeliki.chrysochou at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rodrigo,
>>
>> Glad that it is working for you now. I just wanted to mention that I
>> never had to set the language as properties to the source files since cmake
>> detects it from the suffix of the source files you list, or at least I
>> never had a case where the language was not properly detected.
>>
>> Other than that I agree with Hendrik's suggestions as well!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Angeliki
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:54 AM, Hendrik Sattler <post at hendrik-sattler.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> -lm does not belong to CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS as it is a linker option to link
>>> Use
>>> target_link_libraries(protpred-Gromacs-NSGA2 m)