[CMake] Write CMakeLists in another programming language?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 04:42:13 EDT 2014

On 4/3/14, Clark Wang <dearvoid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using cmake for some time but still I'm confused about the
> syntax. Following are 2 examples from me:
>
>  - http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2013-September/055924.html
>  - http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2013-October/056036.html
>
> Someone ever told me cmake 3.0 may do some language cleanup work to address
> this kind of problems but it did not happen. So my idea is can we use
> another programming language syntax to write the CMakeLists file. (For
> example, we can write CMakeLists in Tcl which is clean and simple.)
>
> I'm not a language expert. Just want to get some feedback from others.
>
> -clark

There was a very serious and long discussion about this back in 2007
which led to a little Lua experiment which had a lot of promise.
Unfortunately, the project never went anywhere because people like me
were too busy and didn't finish it. I dream of finishing it someday.
But the internet has archived a lot of the discussion. Here are some
links. (There are others not listed here.) The CMake mailing list
thread was pretty long so you'll be following it down for awhile.

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2007-November/017971.html
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Experiments_With_Lua

-Eric
--