[CMake] ExternalProject and redundant update/configure/compile actions.

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Wed Sep 18 09:21:12 EDT 2013

Thanks for the clarifications.

So things sped up because now you're getting incremental builds,
whereas before, you would have to force full builds when the tag
changed. That makes sense.

I guess I shouldn't be... but I'm always surprised that people even
attempt incremental rebuilds of large-scale systems. I don't trust all
the tools 100% to produce correct results when making incremental
changes in between builds. There are too many links in the chain and
too many things that can go wrong. Too many wasted days tracking down
mysteries that ended up being simple stale out-of-date build products
in my past I guess.

Rather than giving up on incremental builds, I suppose I should just
adopt a new personal policy: *if* something goes mysteriously wrong,
first try a full re-build, ... *then* investigate if necessary. :-)

Thx,
David