[CMake] CMake Error: RPATH CHANGE

Jim Leek leek2 at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 10 14:50:55 EDT 2013

I'm building a project on Linux x86_64 with 2.8.10.1.  I set up the
project to build statically and shared.  However, when I run make
install on a statically built version I get:

CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:45 (FILE):
   file RPATH_CHANGE could not write new RPATH:

     /usr/gapps/psuade/chaos_5_x86_64/psuade-r0643-t130910_1035/lib

   to the file:

/usr/gapps/psuade/chaos_5_x86_64/psuade-r0643-t130910_1035/bin/psuade

   No valid ELF RPATH or RUNPATH entry exists in the file;

It makes sense that it can't change the RPATH, it's completely static!
$ ldd bin/psuade
     not a dynamic executable

I looked around, but the only thing I could find on the topic is an old
thread on this mailing list.  It got no replies.

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-November/033164.html

Is there anything I can do about this?  I would really like my static
build to install, since I was planning to release that as the binary
version to customers. Is this a cmake bug?  When will it, or has it
already been, fixed?

Thanks,
Jim