[CMake] How to test for the usability of a target

Johannes Zarl johannes.zarl at jku.at
Wed Oct 16 05:38:28 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, 16. October 2013, 01:22:09, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> If you *REALLY* need to know about all your targets before you decide on
> linking, then you're going to have to implement multi-pass project
> parsing. This is possible - see e.g. VTK - but makes the configuration
> process much more difficult to follow, can lead to serious maintenance
> issues, etc. The less magic involved in your build system, the better.

Ok, I'll just stick with the current setup, then. At least that's relatively
easy to understand and doesn't complicate the build proces...

> Personally, I'd say this smells like poor design that needs to be
> rethought. Maybe what you really want is a plugin system?

It *is* poor design in the build system. It's just that sometimes working
around a technical issue is easier than changing the organisation of thing ;-)

Thanks,
  Johannes