[CMake] Problem using VS 2012 Express and CMake

Doug douglas.linder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 22:15:25 EDT 2013

I installed visual studio express on a brand new windows 7 machine
yesterday (brand new installed; liteally all it has on it is visual studio
express 12 and cmake), and I encountered similar troubles.

1) As described in this thread, msbuild wasn't found by default:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12434696/visual-studio-express-2012-and-cmake/19206854#19206854

2) After correcting CMakeVS12FindMake.cmake to detect msbuild, it generated
the project, but the project wouldn't run. It said that the 'specified
build configuration was not found' and that I should attempt to upgrade the
project.

However, visual studio express didn't have an upgrade option on the
solution (which is should) and in the end I was forced to upgrade the
project using VS pro at work this morning.

Anyway, long story short: I'm fairly certain that its currently not
possible to build cmake projects with visual studio express 2012 on windows
7.

~
Doug.

(PS. After reading this thread I did perform an repair, but as expected,
the difficulties appear to be that 1) the path in the config file is wrong
and 2) VS express doesn't have a functioning devenv.exe to perform upgrades
with; it didn't fix anything)