[CMake] multi core project

Arne Pagel arne at pagelnet.de
Mon Nov 11 11:37:39 EST 2013

Dear all,

I am using cmake for an embedded environment where I now have to add multi core support.

In this case I have a Controller with up to 4 different cores!
There is for example one core dedicated for fast peripheral access,
one core for with additional dsp instructions and so on.
For 3 Controllers I can use the same C Compiler, but with different Compiler Options,
for the 4th core I even have to involve a different Compiler.

What I see so far for this controllers are the use of hand made makefiles.
Lets say there are four source directories, with more or less independent makefiles,
later the output files are merged.
(btw. does anyone know an elf merging tool? So far I use a very simple approach based on libelf,
producing an hex file)

Finally all these Cores are accessing the same flash area, and I need one final executable after my
build process.
Since there is a big dependency between the cores and code reallocation between the cores will
happen quite often in the future, I want to treat everything as one project.

So basically in cmake I need target dependent compiler options and toolchains.

Does anyone have an Idea how to setup this with cmake in a smart way?

regards
  Arne