[CMake] bug in boost library discovery?

James Sutherland James.Sutherland at utah.edu
Thu Nov 7 13:00:33 EST 2013

Hello fellow cmake enthusiasts.

Beginning with a recent CMake update,  find_package( Boost ... ) seems to
be broken.

Specifically, if I run ccmake, the first configure (press "c") finds the
boost libraries, but sets "Boost_DIR" to "Boost_DIR-NOTFOUND".  This has
been the case for many releases of cmake, so I typically ignore that.  The
second configure (press "c" again), results in all of the boost libraries
disappearing, and an error being raised.

This also occurs when running cmake (rather than ccmake).  The first time I
run cmake, things work fine. If I run it again, boost suddenly is not found
and an error is raised.

This occurs on the following cmake versions/platforms that I have tested:

   - 2.8.11.2 (on debian with boost in /usr)
   - 2.8.12 (on mac with boost in /usr/local)

It does NOT occur on a few other systems I have access to:

   - 2.8.10.1 (on ubuntu with boost in /usr)
   - 2.8.11.2 (on mac with boost in /opt/local)  -- note same cmake version
   as the one that breaks on debian.

If I set the environmental variable CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH to include the
location of boost, it also fixes the problem.  But this isn't a great
solution in general.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there a known fix/patch?

Thanks,

James