[CMake] Status/use of CMake on Cygwin

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue May 21 16:04:47 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-21 11:14-0500 Kenneth Boyd wrote:

> No, I do not have a dual-boot Windows/Linux system on hand.  I suspect that a
> Fedora LiveCD boot for testing would not be comparable to a proper install
> (my experience has been that Fedora LiveCD Linux is visibly slower than a
> native Windows install, across multiple versions.)

The reason live distros are generally slower is file access to a CD or
DVD is slower than to a hard disk.  But I would think that running the
time command twice would take care of that.  The first slowly
transfers that CD file into the Linux cache in RAM, and the second
should operate completely from RAM so should not give a different
timing result than if you had installed the live CD to a hard disk.

Anyway, if you do have access to a LiveCD the experiment is worth
trying.  If that LiveCD does not include build tools such
as gcc, make, or cmake (all of which have --version options), you
could also try the experiment with ls, e.g.,

irwin at raven> time ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 8.13
[...]
real    0m0.002s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

bash.exe-3.1$ time ls --version
ls (GNU coreutils) 5.97
[...]
real    0m0.070s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

<aside>
MSYS appears to be really behind the times with ls according to that
version number and copyright date.  So this is not an exact
comparison, but I assume that the method to dump out version
information in each case is extremely quick compared to the startup
latency of actually running the cached command from RAM, and so it is
no surprise that the ratio of real times (the factor of 35) is in rough
agreement with the other startup latency test results I have
described.
</aside>

Alan
Alan W. Irwin