[CMake] CMakeModules repository at GitHub?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 11:45:15 EDT 2013

David Cole wrote:
> Two "rules":
>
> - Project config files can only go *with* the project.
>      (VTK and ITK have them. Qt 5 has one. KDE uses them... All the cool
> projects have one. :-)

There is an additional note for this rule:

 - If a Config file is created, it must be created independent of the
buildsystem used by the project.

pcre can be built with autotools or with cmake. There is little point in
adding some install(EXPORT) lines to the CMakeLists.txt files because the
config files would not be created when building pcre with autotools. In that
case, some external script would have to be used to create the files.

llvm also creates cmake config files I think, but they also have an
autotools buildsystem (which as far as I know does not create the config
files). So, in that sense they're 'breaking the rule' because creating a
useful package depends on building them with cmake anyway.

Thanks,

Steve.