[CMake] CMakeModules repository at GitHub?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Mar 29 11:24:35 EDT 2013

On 28 March 2013 18:10, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 3/28/2013 1:17 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>>
>>> All projects should provide a "project config file .cmake script"
>>> readable by CMake's find_package, and installed in a location where
>>> CMake can find it, so that a CMake find module is completely unnecessary.
>>
>> Your idea sounds like a good one, but can you recommend an easily
>> understood
>>
>> project that follows this approach that would serve as a good template
>> for build-system developers to use when implementing this approach for
>> their own projects?
>
> CMake might need more modules.  However, each one needs to come with a
> module maintainer.

IMHO, this is not going to happen and long-time maintainers belong to
rare specie.
Users create modules when they need, ad-hoc for their projects, they
want to share
their contribution. Then, they either maintain it or not, but it's
highly probable
other users find it useful and submit updates. The problem is, there
is no central
place where such updates submitted.

There would be central place, if original creator of module was encouraged to
submit the module to CMake main repo, but they won't do it because of this
requirement: we will accept your module, if you declare you will maintain it.
Let's be realistic, requirement of such declaration by an individual
is a show-stopper
It's a lock up situation. What I propose, is to leverage
community-based maintenance,
that is a much stronger promise in long run.

> I agree that in a perfect world all projects would have
> cmake config files.  But, we can not force all projects to move to cmake,
> and new important projects will be created that do not have direct CMake
> support in them.  They will need new CMake modules.  I would rather see
> direct additions to CMake than a separate module repo.
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Module_Maintainers

Personally, I've lost enthusiasm this approach actually works.

As user and contributor to GNU Autoconf Archive [1],
I believe it's best option. I submitted modules there and
since then I received lots of patches through that repo

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/autoconf-archive/

Best regards,