[CMake] CMakeModules repository at GitHub?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Mar 28 08:44:02 EDT 2013

Hi,

To CMake maintainers,
what do you think about creating new repository at

https://github.com/Kitware/CMakeModules

as incubator for contributed CMake modules?

Here is outline of the process I'm thinking of:

1. I have developed new module for find_package
2. I submit pull request adding this new module to CMakeModules
- this is effectively act of request for comments and review
3. The module undergoes cycle of community-based review-improve-review
iterations
4. The module collects +1 votes
5. Once some sort of critical mass of +1 has been received,
the module is added to CMakeModules repo
6. The newly added module gets stamp "CMake Approved"

Next, users can report bugs, submit improvements through pull requests
or even issues marking module is out of date and requires maintenance.
GitHub is a tiptop venue for such thing.

IMO, CMake modules have suffered of the issues of fragmentation
and distribution, and it's time to apply "Stop Rolling Your Own" [1]
approach, and perhaps stream all those precious efforts into one sink.

[1] http://ithaca.arpinum.org/2013/01/02/git-prompt.html

Best regards,