[CMake] adding program suffix

Yngve Inntjore Levinsen yngve.levinsen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 04:56:24 EDT 2013

On 11/03/13 09:24, Eric Noulard wrote:
> I think Chandan meant "globally" for all executables.
>
> That's the purpose of CMAKE_EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX
> as already pointed  out by Michael.
>
> see : cmake --help-variable "CMAKE_EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX"
>
> Now it doesn't seems to work for Chandan.
>
> I guess the variable is forcibly written by "CMakeGenericSystem.cmake"
> during early CMake startup.
> So that you cannot overwrite its value on the command line.
> try to add "variable_watch(CMAKE_EXECUTABLE_SUFFIX)" at the very top
> of main CMakeLists.txt
>
> You may try to do that from within the CMakeLists.txt after the
> "project(...)" statement (or enable_language)

Hi,

Yes I tried to set the same variable on my machine but does not work
here neither (Linux). Perhaps this only works for platforms where this
variable is traditionally non-empty?

As also Michael pointed out, this would not really be a solution for
non-developers of a software for sure (and I now see Chandan said it was
a question regarding usage).

Cheers,
Yngve