[CMake] ExternalProject and hardwired "src" directory

Luc J. Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Tue Mar 5 12:52:55 EST 2013

Ansis Māliņš wrote
> I don't think you're supposed to set PREFIX to a system path. To avoid
> needing root to configure and compile among other things.
> I always set PREFIX to CMAKE_BINARY_DIR and so far I can't imagine any
> reason to ever set it to anything else.

True enough. Thanks for pointing that out. But this is orthogonal to my
problem: if I set EP_PREFIX to $HOME/develop, then ExternalProject_Add will
help me install everything in $HOME/develop/include, $HOME/develop/lib, etc,
which I want, but it will also create those $HOME/develop/src/<name>*
directories that I don't want because my Python/C++ code should go to
$HOME/develop/src. When it's all built, I then use CPack to create an
installer for the whole app now in develop, installer which would put it in
/usr/local. It turns out that I sometimes work directly with /usr/local,
after a chown (yes, horror!) but I am afraid this is just a distraction in
this discussion.

-----
--
Luc J. Bourhis