[CMake] Where to put generated files.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 15:37:49 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM, William McKenzie <wsmckenz at cartewright.com>
 wrote:

> Just wondering what the common convention is here. If I have some
> generated c/c++ source files, say from gSoap or Lex/Yacc (and my build
> rules take care of the generation), is the convention to generate these
> into the build folder, or the original source folder? I understand I could
> use either, and in some ways it makes more sense for them to go into the
> build folder. But it also feels a little weird that all of my c files are
> not in the same place if I do that.

Looks like you already got your answer, but to add my $0.02...

I'm working on converting  a project from autotools to cmake and it has
pre-generated source files so you have to generate them which is useful for
cross-compilation if you don't want to import native targets for the
generation. Since I don't want to write to the source directory *at all*
because it's an active svn working directory, I use the build directory.

Richard