[CMake] enable_languague (... OPTIONAL) broken?

Marcel Loose loose at astron.nl
Fri Jun 7 11:08:33 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm puzzled w.r.t. the behavior of enable_language(... OPTIONAL).
When trying to enable Fortran optionally on a system without a working
Fortran compiler (/usr/bin/f95 is a dead symbolic link) I get:

CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER = /usr/bin/f95
CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER_WORKS = TRUE

which is quite surprising IMHO. I would expect that
CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER_WORKS were set to FALSE, and
CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER to NOTFOUND.

I don't know what the last sentence "... has been enabled successfully."
in the help text for enable_language really means in the context of
enable_language(... OPTIONAL)?

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.