[CMake] New user installation issues

Rick Dailey crefract at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 08:21:40 EDT 2013

I am just beginning to use CMake and have encountered numerous error messages on my first build attempt.  I am using the GUI version of CMake and following instructions located from various sources, primarily the kitware visual toolkit user's guide.

Here are the first few errors from CMake 2.8.11.  The compiler was selected as "default" and it automatically detected that I was using Visual Studio 2008. What am I doing wrong?

The C compiler identification is unknown
The CXX compiler identification is unknown
Performing Test Support for 64 bit file systems
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Performing Test Support for 64 bit file systems - Failed
Performing Test VTK_CONST_REVERSE_ITERATOR_COMPARISON
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Performing Test VTK_CONST_REVERSE_ITERATOR_COMPARISON - Failed
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Looking for sys/types.h
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Looking for sys/types.h - not found
Looking for stdint.h
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Looking for stdint.h - not found
Looking for stddef.h
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Looking for stddef.h - not found
Check size of int
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Check size of int - failed
Check size of long
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Check size of long - failed
Check size of void*
CMake Error at C:/VTK/CMake/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeCInformation.cmake:37 (get_filename_component):
  get_filename_component called with incorrect number of arguments
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
Check size of void* - failed
Check size of char