[CMake] Re: The Visual Studio project file inclusion problems.

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Wed Jul 17 10:19:12 EDT 2013

> ... I'm forced to use include_external_msproject()

> which destroys all the benefits of dependency tracking added to target_link_libraries() in 2.8.11.

You could perhaps use ExternalProject instead. Although dependency tracking at the source/header file level definitely does not work through that.

Are you constantly updating and building these things from source? Seems like the sort of thing where you’d be snapped to a given known-to-work version of each component for a while. If you have a relatively static snapshot, then just build these components separately from your main project, and then reference them as *.lib files... (Just a suggestion. Probably silly, I know, there must be some reason why you need to build from source frequently, or you wouldn’t do it all the time...)

> I got no response so far, so I don't know if fixing the issue is a work in progress, if it's not,

> if there is a fundamental issue, or if I'm doing it wrong.

Probably none of the above... If nobody has responded, then it is very likely nobody is working on it. The fundamental issue is that the feature is not cross-platform, and therefore, *most* CMake users never use it since they are mostly building cross-platform projects. So it is simply little used, and not well understood by most.

If you can contribute to help fix the problems that you see, I’m sure the folks on the CMake developers list would be most receptive to such help.

HTH,

David C.