[CMake] Cmake and Visual Studio platforms

Meteorhead nagymatef at freemail.hu
Thu Feb 28 06:04:04 EST 2013

Hi!

I've been learning CMake for the past 2-3 weeks now, expanding my project
feature by feature through making a tutorial for fellow scientists, and
there is one big question that people (such as myself and others) ask coming
from the Windows side of development: Why can't CMake create platforms
inside a generated project?

The question is not whether CMake can do it or not. I have found enough
topics stating that it cannot. I understand that MSVC is the only compiler
that has seperate executables for the 32-bit and the 64-bit compiler, which
all other civilized compilers handle via a command line architecture flag.
Clearly it is inside VS that handles whether it calls the 32-bit cl.exe, or
the 64-bit one. And the interesting part comes here:

There are multiple posts in multiple forums asking this question, so
naturally there is public need for this feature. How come CMake never aimed
at creating a solution for this? I suspect there is some great design issue
that prevents implementing it in CMake. There are several platform and
generator specific options already inside CMake, why can't this be another
one?