[CMake] Internal CMake error with ExternalProject_Add and XCode

Todd Greer TGreer at affinegy.com
Thu Feb 21 20:15:12 EST 2013

Here's a minimal CMakeLists.txt:

	cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
	project(cmake_ep_test)
	include(ExternalProject)

	ExternalProject_Add(
	  gtest
	  SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/../googletest
	  INSTALL_COMMAND ""
	  LOG_DOWNLOAD ON
	  LOG_CONFIGURE ON
	  LOG_BUILD ON)

	add_definitions(-include global/Include.h)

We call CMake with these two lines in a shell script:
	cmake -G Xcode ..
	cmake --build . --config Release

It turns out that call to add_definitions is key. It worked perfectly until we added in the ExternalProject_Add. I don't understand why they interact, at all, but they do.

The contents of the "googletest" directory are a copy of http://googletest.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/, but I don't expect that's actually relevant. The "-include" causes global/Include.h to be included at the beginning of every source file, and I might try moving it to CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS as a workaround.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information. I can send you a zip file of the full set of logs, or the full directory with source and build artifacts if that will be helpful (or I can file a bug and attach them there). Just let me know.

Thank you for looking into this,
Todd Greer
Principal Scientist, Affinegy, Inc.