[CMake] CMake with Team Foundation Server?

Zamir Khan zamir.khan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:22:40 EDT 2013

In the interest of brevity (and avoiding expressing some of my biases), I'll
try to keep the problem description short.

We currently develop on Windows, using multiple versions of VS (2008, 2010,
2012 in the near future). Currently our target platform is Windows only, but
that could change. Most of our code is native C++, but there is also some
C#. We use Mercurial for source control. We use CMake to generate our VS
projects and, after initial struggles (and hacks), I finally have a system
that works well to generate even our C# projects. CMake makes managing
dependencies relatively painless.

However, there is an external push to move to a system that uses Team
Foundation Server (which we currently do not use). Mercurial and CMake play
well together in terms of out-of-source build. Mercurial can theoretically
be replaced by TFS source control (without commenting on whether this is a
good thing). However, it's unclear to me whether TFS would play nicely (if
at all) with CMake.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has used TFS and CMake together, to what
extent, and what their experience has been. If Google is any indication, the
TFS/CMake combination is exceedingly rare. Of course, another other
insights, even without direct experience, are welcome too.