[CMake] [cmake-developers] CMake 2.8.12-rc1 Released

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 03:09:28 EDT 2013

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 August 2013, Robert Maynard wrote:
>>  Introduced CMake Policy 21:
>>   It is now an error to use relative paths to include_directories.
>
> Why is this necessary ?
> The documentation for this policy says:
> "The base path for such relative entries is not well defined."
>
> I don't understand this.
> Why isn't it simply interpreted as relative to ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}
> in the CMakeLists.txt where the property is set ?
> include_directories(), link_directories() and I think more or less all
> other commands interpret relative paths as relative to
> ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}.

I think the bug is in the release notes entry.

This relates to commit eabefa8b02b399b00aea83185b6b364ab5b6aa3d.

Relative paths can still be used with the include_directories() command.
This relates mostly to using set_property and using generator expressions
where the base path is not well-defined until generate-time.

Maybe a better release notes entry would be

- It is now an error to add relative paths to the INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES target
property.

Thanks,

Steve.