No subject

Tue Aug 6 13:31:21 EDT 2013

required, sometime is easier to change the value in the CMakeLists.txt,
remove the cache and rerun the configure/generate step, than surfing in the
huge CMakeCache.txt or cmake-gui

The problem when I use cmake command line is that in the "first" step (with
previous CMakeCache.txt deleted) I will obtain:
- the intermediate CMakeCache.txt to be used for the second step (this is
exactly what I want)
- the first intermediate (incomplete) version of building configuration
(Makefile, vcproj).

Doing this, when I run the compilation it will recompile the whole project
(even files that don't need to be recompiled) because of huge changes in
the building configurations.

Instead, if for the first step I run only the configure step (by cmake-gui
or by cmake sending an error), no build configuration are generated in the
first step, and the resultant build conf of the complete second step (no
artificial errors) rebuild only what is possibly really needed to be
recompiled.

So shortly: for automation purpose would be nice to have a cmake tool
command line parameter (i.e. --build_cache_only) for configuring only the
cache but not writing makefiles/vcproj exactly as cmake-gui/ccmake can do.

Our way was to "SEND_ERROR" during first generation only causing that only
the intermediate cache is generated (but not build configuration files
written), but now we are using the patch attached to the issue 0013359.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,
Fil

--001a11c25bda1a580e04e3705db2

 issue has been pushed back in the backlog. In the mean I added a patch.
 Recently I updated it with the last version of cmake in in git. I
wonder if there was any space for this to be reviewed and in case
integrated in the main line, since is it pretty safe.<br>
not Generation with cmake command line tool (as is possible in cmake-gui
 and ccmake).<br>
I&#39;m dealing with a very huge project (around 150 targets). Each target
is defined in its own CMakeLists.txt inside the hierarchy and defines
some variable for exposing some functionality related to the target its
self (i.e. include path needed for using a library). But we have some
cross dependencies. <br>
Because of that we have to perform a 2 step generation for creating the right cache. <br>