[CMake] Can CMake confgure shorter cmmand argments?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 18:55:05 EDT 2013

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 09:49:57 -0400, Bill Hoffman
<bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:

>On 8/6/2013 1:59 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
>>> And specifically HOW one can tell CMake to do this?
>> They are obviously not implemented in CMake for this compiler. So one needs to
>> do that.
>
>The file to look at is Modules/Platform/Windows.cmake
>
>It currently has this:
>
># for borland make long command lines are redirected to a file
># with the following syntax, see Windows-bcc32.cmake for use
>if(CMAKE_GENERATOR MATCHES "Borland")
>   set(CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE "@&&|\n")
>   set(CMAKE_END_TEMP_FILE "\n|")
>endif()
>
># for nmake make long command lines are redirected to a file
># with the following syntax, see Windows-bcc32.cmake for use
>if(CMAKE_GENERATOR MATCHES "NMake")
>   set(CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE "@<<\n")
>   set(CMAKE_END_TEMP_FILE "\n<<")
>endif()
>

>What generator are you using?

When I run CMake I select "Borland makefile" since I use C++Builder in
XE4 (and BDS 2006, RAD Studio 2007)

I had a look at the windows.cmake file as indicated above and mine has
the same content as you quoted:

# for borland make long command lines are redirected to a file
# with the following syntax, see Windows-bcc32.cmake for use
if(CMAKE_GENERATOR MATCHES "Borland")
  set(CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE "@&&|\n")
  set(CMAKE_END_TEMP_FILE "\n|")
endif()

# for nmake make long command lines are redirected to a file
# with the following syntax, see Windows-bcc32.cmake for use
if(CMAKE_GENERATOR MATCHES "NMake")
  set(CMAKE_START_TEMP_FILE "@<<\n")
  set(CMAKE_END_TEMP_FILE "\n<<")
endif()

Either something needs to be done about this (what in that case?) or
else the redirection toa response file does not work for all commands.
I am getting this on a tlib command when the vtkhdf5.lib file is being
manipulated.

Could it be so that the CMake system is set up such that it redirects
to a file for other commands but not for tlib???

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden