[CMake] CTEST_CONFIGURATION_TYPE not set in 'make test'

Petr Kmoch petr.kmoch at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:16:39 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I seem to have a problem when using add_test(... CONFIGURATIONS ...) and
running 'make test' on Linux. It's skipping the test.

The CMakeLists.txt contains:
#...
enable_testing()
add_test(NAME test1 CONFIGURATIONS db COMMAND ...)
#...

On Windows, I invoke CMake like this:
cmake -DCMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES:STRING=rel\;inhouse\;db -G "Visual Studio
8 2005"

All works fine and the test is run when I "build" RUN_TESTS in 'db'
configuration.

When I invoke CMake on Linux, like this:
cmake -DCMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES:STRING=rel\;inhouse\;db
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=db -G "Unix Makefiles"

Then after 'make test', the test is not run. I tried manually injecting a
'message(">${CTEST_CONFIGURATION_TYPE}<")' into the generated
CTestTestfile.cmake file, but the output was '><' (i.e.
CTEST_CONFIGURATION_TYPE is not set). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Petr