[CMake] Nina Generator on Windows generates too long link cmd lines

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue May 29 17:12:46 EDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 4:00 PM, Claus Klein wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working with Nightly cmake build with ninja enabled on windows.
> While testing a real complex project build, code generation and
> compiling works, but linking fails.
>
> The command line with a view pre and post build rules including a huge
> count of libs and linkerflags is to long.
> The hole link command is about 16K long!
>
> Could it possible to generate a custom rule for each $PRE_LINK and each
> $POST_BUILD command?
> And to use a linker script like with visual studio projects?
>
> The same project with visual studio 2005 generator works fine.

Another reason the windows ninja is disabled by default... :)

What ninja branch are you using?  It needs to use response files.

This ninja adds the response files:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmakescript/files/ninja.exe/download

The cmake code needs to be updated to use the native ninja response
files.   If you are interested in this work, I can help you figure out
where to make the changes.

-Bill