[CMake] CMake for many interdependent libraries/executables

Gerhard den Hollander gdenhollander at fugro-jason.com
Tue May 29 09:38:36 EDT 2012

* Wiser, Tyson <TWiser at logostech.net> (Tue, May 29, 2012 at 06:26:29AM -0700)
> We already have nightly builds set up, so this would certainly be a possibility,
> though I would have to think through how to make it work when we didn't have a
> connection to our build server.  I would still prefer, however, to have this
> work locally.  You mention that you set this up 5 years or so ago.  Was that
> before the ExternalProject module existed?  If not, was there a reason
> ExternalProject was not used?

We started with cmake 2.6 (I think, or maybe even earlier)
ExternalProject was added to 2.8.0.

But ExternalProject still does a checkout, configure and build step.
(at least if I read the docs correctly)

our goal was to minimize the amount of stuff you needed to build,
specifically, if you were only working on 2 libs that were needed by 1
app, you could checkout only those 2 libs.

Using ExternalProject would still force a checkout and build of
another 20 orso libs (in our case) including some that (at least back
then) would take 15+ minuted to build.

> Since no one has responded to say that my ideas are not possible I will probably
> start tinkering with them in my spare time.  If I discover anything in the
> process I will post it here, though it won't likely be very soon.  If anyone
> does have thoughts as to the possibility or impossibility of such a setup I am
> still very much interested in hearing them.
>

> > What we did here, faced with the same issue, is have an automated, ightly build
> > that builds everything, and then have partial checkouts.
> >
> > The cmake link dependencies then first check if there is local source and local
> > libs, and if so uses those, otherwise it takes the nightly build libs.
> >
> > A bit of a pain to setup, but once it's setup (which was 5 years orso ago), it is a blessing.
Kind regards,
Fugro-Jason Netherlands BV

Gerhard den Hollander
AE Technical Support Manager

Telephone: +31 (0)70 3170 539  /  Fax: +31 (0)70 3170 511
E-mail: gdenhollander at fugro-jason.com
	/  Website: www.fugro-jason.com <http://www.fugro-jason.com/>
Address: Veurse Achterweg 10, 2264 SG Leidschendam, The Netherlands  /
P.O. Box 35, 2260 AA Leidschendam, The Netherlands
Trade Register Nr: 24294747  /  VAT: NL 8080.15.163.B.01