[CMake] Windows 260 Char Limit Hit with CPack

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon May 21 01:32:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:14 AM, David A. Alexander <alexanda at txcorp.com>wrote:

> We are running CPack remotely through Jenkins [1] to end up running a
> build/package process on a Windows 2008 Server machine and are seeing
> errors during the install into the _CPack_Packages directory because file
> paths exceeds the windows 260 character limit [2].  We have seen posts
> about this problem [3] where the solution is to build outside of the source
> directory, but this is not desirable for us because with Jenkins we want to
> save build artifacts and look at the workspace remotely.  For those not
> familiar with Jenkins, the shortest build path starts with...
>
> C:\user_name\jenkins\workspace\project_name\configuration_name\machine_name

Hmm, at work our jenkins slaves running on windows would run the build from
C:\jenkins-slave-user\workspace\<jobname>\build, which is considerably
shorter than what you have there. So it seems that this is customizable to
a certain extent (I'm not an expert when it comes to jenkins on windows). I
know thats not what you were looking for, but might be an easier to
maintain change than patching CMake each time a new release is coming out.

Andreas