[CMake] make install uses outdated libstdc++.so.6

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:11:22 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/26 Mirko Vukovic <mirko.vukovic at gmail.com>:
>> I can certainly try again (remove /usr/local from PATH variables).
>>
>> But as I am not familiar with cmake, can you please spell out for me
>> how to use it?  I am much more used to make & configure.
>>
>> I tried with "cmake -i", but I not sure if I did everything correctly.
>
> Usually you do something like:
>
> 1) tar zxvf your-software.tar.gz -> this creates a your-software/ directory
> 2) mkdir build
> 3) cd build
> 4) cmake ../your-software
> 5) make
> 6) make install
>
> at step 4) you may configure the install prefix with
> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/where/you/want
>
> at the same step 4) you may launch
>    cmake-gui ../your-software
> and chose option; install prefix etc... from the GUI instead of the
> command line.
>
> at step 6) you may try to build a package instead of installing:
>
> for RPM: cpack -G RPM
> for DEB: cpack -G DEB
> for TGZ: cpack -G TGZ
>
> then you'll be able to install the built package.
>
> That said if you "just" want to use an up to date CMake
> you should first try to use pre-compiled binaries taken from Kitware:
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html
>
> CMake binaries are as static as then can so it's usually enough
> to unarchive the tarball somewhere and directly use the cmake (or
> cpack or ctest)
> binary from there.
>
> Is anybody here using RHEL6 with recent CMake version who can help?
> --
> Erk
> Le gouvernement représentatif n'est pas la démocratie --
> http://www.le-message.org

I tried the following:

- Extracted the source from
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/resources/software.html into temporary
directory
- cd into temporary directory
- executed `cmake'
- executed `make'

error at end of make:
../bin/ctest: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not
found (required by ../bin/ctest)
make[2]: *** [Docs/ctest.txt] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Utilities/CMakeFiles/documentation.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Now, as to your suggestion to download binaries, I do not mind that.
But which one is for 64-bit Linux?  I only see the 32-bit one
(Linux-i386).

Thanks,

Mirko

Thanks,