[CMake] Different behaviour between cmake-gui vs cmake using command line mode

Christian Arnault arnault at lal.in2p3.fr
Wed Mar 21 09:01:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am using cmake version  2.8.7 both on Windows 7 & on Linux.

In windows, I configure a project with some sources.

1) Using the cmake-gui tool, I can specify both where to find the
sources (eg: C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A) and where to build the binaries
(eg: C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A/build)

(My CMakelists.txt stands in C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A)

===>  Doing so works perfectly.

2) Then, I wonder how to obtain the same behaviour using the command
mode interface...

I tried

 > cd C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A
 > cmake

this is fine but produce a in-source build which is not what I want

 > cd C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A
 > cmake --build build

This does not work since cmake complains as follows:

[CMake Error: The source directory "C:/Arnault/CMT2/test/A/build" does
not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.]

===> Question:
Can I obtain the same behaviour as when I use the Gui, either by some
options in the command line interface, or by setting some variables in
my CMakeLists.txt ?

Thanks for any hint

Regards
Christian

| Christian Arnault                        |
| LAL Bat 200 pièce 03a                    |
| 91405 Orsay CEDEX                        |
| phone   : (33) 1 64 46 84 24             |
| gsm     : (33) 6 77 27 62 30             |
| fax     : (33) 1 69 07 94 04             |
| e-mail  : christian.arnault at lal.in2p3.fr |