[CMake] Automatically add a revision number to the CPack installer name

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Thu Mar 8 15:57:14 EST 2012

Is it possible to add, at build time, a revision number to the installer file
name produced by CPack? I understand that to get the revision number at build
time one must run a command and I have used that technique to generate a source
code header, but I cannot figure out how to apply it to the package file name.
The simplest method would appear to be to add a post-build command that renames
the file to the package target, but it appears that this cannot be currently
done [1].

A previous list message [1] suggests the following:

> If you want to hook it up automatically, you could write your own
> version of the package target that just calls cpack itself in
> ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}. That target could have a post-build rule that
> does the rename.

When I tried that. It created an infinite loop with cpack calling make and make
calling cpack.

What would I need to do to correctly implement this solution? Is there another
way to do it?

Glenn

[1] <http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-May/044440.html>