[CMake] CMake configuration times with Microsoft Visual C++

Clifford Yapp cliffyapp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:09:38 EST 2012

We use the same configuration tests on all platforms in an effort to avoid
having large chunks of platform-specific code in our build files, but we
pay a price for this on Windows - the same test process is more than an
order of magnitude slower with MSVC than (say) Linux.

Does CMake launch the MSVC C++ compiler each time it needs to do a
TRY_COMPILE or similar test?  If so, does anybody know of any techniques
for combining tests or some way to run a cl.exe instance as a "daemon" to
which multiple files can be fed without needing a full restart of cl.exe?

Cheers,
CY