[CMake] Ninja + CMake on a dashboard?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Mar 6 13:09:03 EST 2012

On 06.03.12 17:10:41, Peter Collingbourne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 10:41:19AM -0500, David Cole wrote:
> > 2 things I'd like to see before we merge:
> >
> > (1) test failures corrected on the Mac Nightly Expected dashboards
> > submitting using the ninja generator
> > (2) reliable dashboard submissions (even if not all tests pass) from a
> > Windows machine using the ninja generator
> >
> > We *could*, if popular demand is high enough, merge it in anyway and
> > call it "experimental" to start with, or we could get it right all the
> > way before we merge to 'master' and put it out in an official CMake
> > release.
>
> +1 on merging soon.  The generator will be disabled on Windows by
> default so there is no risk of Windows users accidentally trying to
> use it.  Most of the test failures on the Mac relate to Mac specific
> targets (frameworks/bundles/apps) which I think most portable
> applications can survive without

You have any evidence for that? Usually cross-platform doesn't mean
"ignore the platform conventions", but simply abstract away from that.
In that sense I'd expect cross-platform apps to have something like

add_executable(foo WIN32 MACOSX_BUNDLE ${SRCS})

since cmake will simply ignore the windows/macosx specific flags on
platforms that they don't apply on.

For a CMake release I'd say that the generator should fully work on all
platforms it is enabled on. If there are things that are not supported
on a platform, disable it there.

Andreas