[CMake] visual studio development setup

Totte Karlsson totte at dunescientific.com
Sat Jun 23 15:12:36 EDT 2012

Hi,
I'm using CMake on a fairly large project involving building several
DLL's and multiple applications and test programs. The current setup
creates a visual studio sln file with about 10 individual projects. It
has a install target and I can run apps that are built in the install
folder, meaning running them outside the IDE.

However, to run an individual project application from within the IDE
don't work because at run time they will not find the necessary DLL's
(unless I put the install's bin folder on the system path, which I don't
want, for various reasons).  What is 'best practice' here? Obviously
this setup is not optimal because it don't allow the user to run and
debug individual projects in the VS IDE.

One way making sense to me would be to have all individual projects
output path to be the same.
Is there a way in CMake to configure such a thing? That way all
individual apps would find needed dll's when debugged from within the VS
ide.

Thanks,
Totte