[CMake] Scope of imported targets

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 19:43:55 EDT 2012

Is there are particular reason why imported targets don't have global scope
(doc says current directory and below), but regular targets do (seen
everywhere)?

This seems really inconsistent to me.

I'm trying to build a custom library from other pieces using my own set of
commands.  I can't use add_custom_target directly since I can't use the
resulting target in target_link_libraries.  I then found a link where it
suggested to use add_library(IMPORTED) and set the file with the results of
my custom target.  Unfortunately, this library lives in a sub directory and
it can't be seen outside like the original library used to.

Now, I'm kind of stuck.  I want a library type target, but IMPORTED doesn't
provide the correct scoping (i.e. global).

Thanks,
James