[CMake] 'Parallel' CMakeLists.txt?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jan 31 08:23:31 EST 2012

On 1/28/2012 11:36 AM, g4 at novadsp.com wrote:
> Is it possible to get CMake to process/search for an alternative
 > default filename to CMakeLists.txt?

Not currently.  We're not fundamentally opposed to the idea, but it may
be tricky to get the interface right.  Should the alternate name be used
in *all* directories?  Should it be configurable on a per-subdirectory
basis?  What if you have some third-party subdirectories that you're
not touching?  Should it be an ordered list of names to check?  Does the
rule apply to try_compile projects?  Do we keep the information in the
CMakeCache.txt?  Once it is switched for the top-most directory should
that one need to tell add_subdirectory what name to use for a subdir?

> Motivation: I'm trying to set up CMake files for a rather large project
 > that has an existing set of CMake files that a) I'd like to keep in
 > place and b) keep unchanged until the parallel build works.

This sounds like a job for distributed version control.  In Git you
could keep a branch with your CMakeLists.txt changes and keep merging
from the main branch to keep up with the other changes.

-Brad