[CMake] CHECK_C_COMPILER_FLAG (very) broken with icc!

Szilárd Páll pszilard at kth.se
Fri Jan 13 14:31:44 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:54:23 +0100, Szilárd Páll said:
>
>>Additionally, IMHO it's quite unfortunate that such a widely used
>>compiler as the Intel Compiler has such flaky support in CMake.
>
> Searching today's dashboard for "icc", I see only 1 entry:
> <http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake>
>
> I'm sure the community would benefit from additional submissions.  icc costs money, making it harder...

Sure, I understand that -- although Kitware isn't really a group of
free-time OSS coders... Also, I wouldn't have even considered the poor
Intel Compiler support unfortunate if I didn't think that CMake tends
to compromise when it comes to robustness of implementations. It is no
fun to have to test across all *patch versions* of CMake with dozens
of configurations :)

I could pitch in with running a few Dashboard submissions using Intel
Compiler on Linux if that helps, but I doubt I can dedicate a machine
for long-term contribution.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd