[CMake] subject changed: question about which bugs you're talking about

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Jan 12 08:52:25 EST 2012

Am 11.01.2012 21:25, schrieb David Cole:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Alexander Neundorf
> <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:

>>> My personal issues are:
>>> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10994
>>> and connected to it: http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11153
>>> The handling of the windows drive root is not consistent/wrong, which
>>> leads to both errors. I checked yesterday but the patches I added in
>>> 10994 do lead to an endless loop in 11153. I will try to come up with a
>>> better patch in the coming days.
>>
>> IMO these are quite important issue, since they issue causes every
>> FooConfig.cmake file installed by any of the KDE libraries to contain extra
>> code to work around this issue, which makes them less readable and harder to
>> write (and easier to get wrong).
>>
>> Alex
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

> Are you talking about http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10994 and
> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11153 ??
>
> How do these require extra code in your config files?
>
> I would think putting the CMakeLists file at the root of a drive would
> be quite uncommon. Why is the workaround mentioned in the bug
> insufficient?

See the explanation Alex gave - the issue is not only that files are at
the root of the drive, but also that if you have the root of the drive
in your variable, get_filename_component behaves differently (see bug
10994 which is exactly about that).
The point why subst is used is rather easy: building with
mingw+mingw32-make will lead to the restriction of ~6000 chars in
commandline (a restriction of the windows cmd.exe). Some packages we
build (kdelibs, digikam) currently are able to hit this number of
characters which makes *every* character our paths are shorter really
valuable.

regards,
Patrick