[CMake] How not to copy a link

Michael Hertling mhertling at online.de
Thu Jan 12 08:42:08 EST 2012

On 01/11/2012 04:52 PM, David Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Michael Hertling <mhertling at online.de> wrote:

>>> It appears to be resolved w.r.t. the current *source* directory when
>>> you do not give the full path, and since "xyz.dat" does not actually
>>> exist in the source dir, there's no way we can know that it is
>>> supposed to be a symlink.
>>>
>>> But get_filename_component has to work with non-existing files since
>>> some people need that simply to compute where files should go, or what
>>> other file's base names should be based on CMake variables alone...
>>>
>>> Hope that explains it better.
>>
>> Yes, it does; thanks for straightening this out. Actually, it's rather
>> obvious that the ABSOLUTE/REALPATH clauses of GET_FILENAME_COMPONENT()
>> do need a reference point, but perhaps, one should document explicitly
>> that it's CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR, whereas CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR
>> won't be taken into account. Elsewhere, CMake behaves differently.
>>

> Is it CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR? Or is it the current working directory
> of the cmake process, which happens to be CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR
> when you make the call ...?

Because of questions like these, I asked for refined documentation. ;)
AFAICS from the source code, a relative path is evaluated w.r.t. CMAKE_
CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR only. Anyway, the ABSOLUTE clause has made me think
that it is mainly meant to be used on relative paths, and if it is to
work on non-existing files, too, it needs a single reference point to
evaluate against. Actually, such facts should be mentioned in the docs
since they are essential if ABSOLUTE/REALPATH are to be used correctly.

>>> I know it's *possible* to use non-full paths in many contexts within
>>> CMake and still get the results you expect, but because of little
>>> nuggets like this, ...
>>>
>>> ... I always, always, always use full paths anyway, unconditionally. [...]
>>
>> With ADD_EXECUTABLE() and ADD_LIBRARY(), too? ;-) But seriously...
>
> Yes, even with them. Exception: when I'm editing a CMakeLists file
> that pre-dates my involvement, and I'm just making an edit to blend in
> with what's there and working already...

Certainly bullet-proof, although the source files are searched in
both CMAKE_CURRENT_{SOURCE,BINARY}_DIR - not by accident, AFAIK.

> And especially with add_custom_command, add_custom_target,
> execute_process calls. And file DEPENDS clauses for anything.

Absolutely, the most typical pitfalls w.r.t. relative paths, IMO.

>>> [...] I
>>> always recommend to everyone that they also adopt this CMake best
>>> practice of referring to files by their full path names whenever
>>> possible. It eliminates confusion, ambiguity and unintended mistaken
>>> results -- and is 100% absolutely worth the effort.
>>
>> Definitely agreed, but there're some commands which are typically used
>> with relative paths, although it's not explicitly documented how they
>> behave in this respect. Notable examples are the already mentioned
>> ADD_EXECUTABLE/LIBRARY() or SET_SOURCE_FILES_PROPERTIES() - IMO, the
>> latter should behave in the same manner as the formers, so one can use
>> the same source file specifications. Perhaps, one could add a few lines
>> to the documentation in order to clarify for which commands/properties/
>> etc. a relative path does behave well, e.g. like for ADD_SUBDIRECTORY().
>>

> Better documentation is always a good thing. I will not argue against
> improving the documentation.

Sometimes, certain aspects might be intentionally left undocumented,
notably as they're subject to change in future, so I usually ask if
respective improvements in documentation are of an actual interest.

> However:
>
> Using full paths always so that you don't have to remember how
> relative paths are treated differently in different contexts is an
> even better thing.
>
> The simple fact is: if you always use full paths, you never have to
> think about relative paths, and your CMake code will be better.
> Because this practice will eliminate a whole slew of possible thinking
> and documentation lookup mistakes that you can make along the way.

Of course, you are completely right: Using full paths everywhere
means playing safe at all events. OTOH, I can't recall a single
tutorial/introduction/etc. - not on the CMake home page either -
which does not pass relative paths to ADD_EXECUTABLE/LIBRARY(),
perhaps except for the OUTPUTs of custom commands. IMO, this
habit is common to such an extent that it can't be eliminated
anymore, neither from the source trees nor from the developers'
heads, so these commands' behavior w.r.t. relative paths should
be stipulated in the manual - if it's not left open intentionally.

BTW, thank you very much for your time and willingness to discuss.

Regards,

Michael