[CMake] User configuration files for Visual Studio

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:53:16 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> I'm sure there are a handful of interested parties on this topic.
>
> One concern I would have is that if we start to generate this, we
> might clobber stuff that users go in and edit by hand in the Visual
> Studio UI. It's a minor concern, but if I do go in and add a
> "PATH=1;2;3;4" to the environment, then I wouldn't want CMake to
> clobber it. I could get used to editing a CMake file or a
> configuration .in file for such settings though...
>
> It's a reasonable idea.

I would be vehemently against any idea that would *require* me to edit any
file to change debug parameters.  This is an integral part of how VS should
be used.  The time for an iteration cycle and annoyance of this would be
too high for most developers.

1. Edit paramfile
2. Configure with CMake
3. Wait for VS to recognize the file has changed or the slow slow CMake VS
plugin to figure out what is going on and ask me to reload the file.
4. Run my code
5. Decide I need to change another debug parameter
6. Rinse and repeat until I decide to pull my hair out

I would not be opposed for a default version of the file or the option to
overwrite the existing ones, but once it has been created please leave it
alone and let me configure it through the GUI.

James