[CMake] Adding user defined search path for find_package

Martin Uhrin martin.uhrin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:14:14 EST 2012

Dear CMake community,

firstly, thank you for the extremely useful build tool, it's saved me a lot
of time and effort!

I'm trying to solve the following problem:

I'd like the user (i.e. non-developer compiling my code) to have the option
to specify a location for an external library and *iff* this option is set
it should be used as the 'top-priority' search location for that library,
falling back to all the others if it is not found or not set.  Ideally this
option would be set as a variable so that it is visible in e.g. ccmake.

The reason for doing this is that if the user just sets a variable to
indicate the library path I would then have to manually check that the
library does indeed exist at that path.

Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks,
-Martin