[CMake] MSBuild and automatic project file regenation

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Jan 9 13:56:58 EST 2012

Michael Hertling <mhertling at online.de>
writes:

> On 01/09/2012 02:34 PM, David Cole wrote:
>> No trick, but to avoid this, perhaps we should change the "--build"
>> handler to run the cmake configure & generate step before calling out
>> to MSBuild. You can easily do this yourself from the command line by
>> adopting the pattern:
>>
>>   cmake . && cmake --build . --config Release

Fortunately my cmake scripts are simple enough so the extra invocation
does not add much to the build.

Thanks David.

>> This is a good idea for a feature request. Not sure if we should just
>> always do that by default and provide a way to turn off with a
>> "--no-regenerate", or vice-versa with a "--please-generate-first" ...
>> :-)

The effect of --no-regenerate would be the same as the current buggy
behavior (MSBuild.exe uses outdated project files). IMHO the
--please-generate-first is the right thing.

> Just out of curiosity: In [1], item (1), I reported on the fact that
> one can modify a project's CMakeLists.txt, and "cmake --build" will
> reconfigure/regenerate, but not rebuild. Is this the same issue the
> OP asks about?

No.

> If so, I would strongly support a feature request in
> this respect since, IMO, it's actually quite confusing that CMake's
> "--build" command does anything but rebuilding.

I agree.

> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg39596.html

This returns 404.