[CMake] Generate Xcode projects on a Windows environment

Hertout Julien julien.hertout at neomades.com
Wed Jan 4 09:58:30 EST 2012

Le 04/01/12 12:54, Eric Noulard a écrit :
> 2012/1/4 Hertout Julien<julien.hertout at neomades.com>:
>> We need to generate Xcode projects but from a Windows environment.
> Is it possible to know why you need that?
>
> CMake generated project files are not meant to be relocatable
> and they depend on CMake as well....
> So generating a project file on a host that is not the one you'll be working on
> has good chance to fail at some point.
>
> So what is your use case for that?

Thanks for your response.

Is it possible to know why you need that?

Of course.
We develop software to help to develop applications for mobile phones.
 From a source code written in Java with our APIs we generate projects
for JavaME, Android, Blackberry, WP7 and (almost) for iPhone. For
JavaME, Android and Blackberry we generate Java project for Eclipse and
for WP7 a Visual Studio for Windows Phone project. We want to generate a
Xcode project for iPhone. Actually all the source code are  generated by
our tool but not the Xcode project. It is where CMake can help. Except
for iPhone, all the projects can be generated from any OS (even if the
project for WP7 cannot be open from a Mac). It is a feature we propose :
user just have to push a button to have all its projects. Then, to build
or modify the projects, each project can be copied or sent to another
computer.

CMake can be a way to quickly generate the project from the sources we
generate for iPhone (moreover, it is quite difficult to manualy generate
a XCode project). However if you say that the  generated project files
are not meant to be relocable, we might think to do it in an other way
or to adapt our product.