[CMake] Bug fix requests for the *next* release of CMake...

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jan 2 12:11:32 EST 2012

Hi all,

Replies requested. Short replies only. Read on. Just a short reply
with bug numbers or links to the bugs is all we need here. Please move
specific discussions into the bugs themselves or start a new thread to
talk about it... Replies on this thread should just be a collector for
bug numbers.

Example one-line reply:

We are aiming for quarterly releases from now on, scheduling them
every 3 months. That would make the next release of CMake version
2.8.8, scheduled to have an "rc1" release candidate on Wed. March 7,
2012 -- just 9 weeks from this Wednesday.

If you have a particular issue that you think should be fixed for
inclusion in 2.8.8, please bring it up within the next two weeks.
Ideally, each issue will be discussed as needed on the mailing list to
come to any consensus about what should be done to fix it, and then an
entry in the bug tracker may be used to keep it on the radar screen,
and to track activity related to it. You can see what's on the roadmap
for this release here:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/roadmap_page.php?version_id=90

Patches are always welcome. Patches that include testing of any new
features, or tests that prove a bug is really fixed on the dashboards,
basically any patch with testing is preferred over a patch with no
testing. Also, if you are *adding* code, then you also probably need
to add *tests* of that code, so that the coverage percentage stays as
is or rises.

Please discuss issues here as needed, and add notes to existing issues
in the bug tracker that you are interested in seeing fixed -- we will
be looking at the mailing list and activity in the bug tracker to help
prioritize the bug fixes that will occur in the near future.

Thanks,
David Cole
Kitware, Inc.

P.S. - as a nice summary of what we accomplished in the CMake 2.8.7
release, see here:
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/changelog_page.php?version_id=89
-- it currently lists 43 issues that we resolved: nice job, everybody!

(Many of those were specifically addressed because somebody brought it
up in response to my similar email from just after the last release...
Don't be shy!)