[CMake] mingw vs MSYS makefiles

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Thu Feb 23 18:29:04 EST 2012

On 2/23/2012 4:55 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 2/23/2012 6:20 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
>>
>> So well I thought I could just use the MSYS Makefiles instead, but
>> reconfiguring and with the same target that doesn't work:
>>
>> Scanning dependencies of target cleanup_system
>> process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, /c/python25/python.exe
>> h:/git_projs/PSI_Hamburg/utils/utils/bin/clean_global.py, ...) failed.
>> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>> epd-make[3]: *** [CMakeFiles/cleanup_system] Error 2
>> epd-make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/cleanup_system.dir/all] Error 2
>> epd-make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/run_as_user.dir/rule] Error 2
>> epd-make: *** [run_as_user] Error 2
>
> I don't think anyone really addressed your question.  Your question
> seems to have taken on a whole new life....
True.  This kind of error is what happens when CygWin paths (MSYS
generator) are fed into MingW utilities: the CreateProcess command from
mscvrt.dll fails horribly.

Python is probably installed at c:\Python25\python.exe ;
/c/python25/python.exe is the CygWin path corresponding to that.  The
MingW bash is looking for c:\c\python25\python.exe rather than
c:\python25\python.exe .
> Moral of the story, don't depend on python in your build, use cmake
> scripts if possible, or c programs that you build .... :)
Ideally, yes.

Kenneth